Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 6

Bad:

Why oh why do we Mother's love our children so much? Sometimes, (if not all) times, when my kids are sick or in pain there is nothing I want more than to take that pain away from them....even if that means me bearing the pain myself. Today was definitely not one of beepers better days. He woke up this morning with an ear draining all sorts of yucky gunk (which in a child with ear tubes indicates an infection.) He also is riding on the constipation train AGAIN and between that AND an ear infection AND waking me up bright and early at the unheard of hour of 5:30 am, he was struggling by this evening.....to put it mildly. NOT a happy camper. But seriously? His cries were so sad, so pathetic, and so heart wrenching....it was all I could do to not burst into tears myself. It is so HARD to see your child so miserable.


Good:

Today was my dearest Mother's 58th birthday. (Sorry to call you out on the age, Mommy, but you don't look a day over 35 anyway. {wink wink}) We had a grand old celebration of all sorts of wild and craziness at my Mom's favorite restaurant: Mi Ranchito. It probably was a good thing that they stuck us in the back room all by ourselves since the decibel level probably rivaled a Lear jet.....but what they hay! We had fun. After some good ol' Mexican food we head back to our house for some MORE food because hey, what's a b-day without some cake and ice cream? (In our case we happened to have THREE cakes, but that's just a minor little detail.)

Here are some facts about my dearest Mother. She is the best mom in the world! When most ladies my age are worried about turning into their Mother's.....I am hoping that someday I WILL turn into my Mother. She is the kindest, gentle, most patient person that I know. When I was a little girl I NEVER remember her yelling. Whether she did or not is beside the question.....because she never did it enough to make an impression. She is a beautiful person, both inside and out and a great grandma to her 15 grandchildren. And here is one of my favorite stories about her:

When she was a young mother raising her young children, she would always try to have jobs that would allow her to be home when her kids got home from school. The job that she had for many, many years was delivering papers for the Daily Herald. She would take the papers around to the boxes that sold them and the gas stations every day. This job was perfect because when we were younger we would just go with her and when we were in school she would always be home by the time we walked through the door. My sister and I LOVED going with her on the paper route. I mean.....we loved it like it was no body's business. I have many fond memories of riding around in my car with my mom and the many crazy things we did. This is the story of one of those crazy times.
My sissy and I were really little. I am thinking maybe I was 6 or 7, which made my sister 4 or 5. We thought it would be absolutely FANTASTIC if we snuck our cat in the car under the blanket so that she could go with us. Keep in mind these small details: It was the middle of the summer. We did not have AC in the car. Cats don't even freakin' like cars. They are not like dogs.
We would be in the car for about 6 hours. We would be too far from home to take her back.

It was such a baaaaaaaddddd idea. Like a colossal bad idea. Once my mom was far enough away from home that she couldn't turn back around we whipped that little cat out and paraded her around like the queen that we thought she was. "Look what we brought, Mom" we squealed like the little girls' that we were. "Oh girls. What have you done?" She said. (See....I told you she didn't yell.) Well......the next six hours were a living cat hell. The cat got freaked. The cat got hot. She proceeded to throw up and shat all over the car. NO LIE. It was not pretty. How my mother lived through it AND still did her job, I do not know. I do know this: If my little darlings ever pulled a stunt like that (which they never could because really? Cats? EWWWWW. We will never have a cat.) I would not be pleasant. I would not be mild. I might even throw in a couple of handy expletives....you never know. But that's what makes my mom so great and sums her up best. She IS pleasant. She IS mild. And as for those handy expletives......never! I love you MAMA.

Ugly:

To the lady who drove through the neighborhood like you do EVERY DAY and there were children in the road: It does no good to slam on your breaks just to prove a point. There will always be children in the road......that is why us Mother's sit outside and watch them. Do NOT throw your arms up in the air and wave your fists at me. I WILL go mama bear on your arse. And also, it is probably not a good idea to tear away at the speed of light once said children have moved out of your way......I'm just sayin'. You may have you slam on your breaks again before you know it. Keep that in mind.

08.10.09

1 comment:

  1. Hi Florrie! Brian's (your cousin's) wife here. I hope you don't mind me checking in on your blog. I have always loved the way you tell a story - I have had tears of laughter (literally) as I've read some of them. I especially love that we get to read more now. Your mom sounds wonderful. I can't even go a day without yelling. Someday I might have to try that.

    ReplyDelete