Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 37

Good:

For the past several months, one of the major roads that you use to get on the freeway from Springville has been under construction. This poses a serious pain-in-the-butt problem when needing to go to Wal-Mart for a couple of reasons. First, one must go the back way to get there, (which is not such a big deal, but still.....pain in the butt.) The other reason is that every time we get in the vicinity of the road that is closed down, Braden starts begging for me to drive by and see the construction vehicles. This wouldn't be so bad if it happened when I was driving to Wal-Mart seeing as Wal-Mart is evil and I rarely visit that place, but Savy's gymnastics class is right by Wal-Mart and so on Thursday every dang week this is Braden....
"Mommy......look.....a backhoe. A dump truck. A paver. Let's go see them. Can we please drive over there and see them?"

And every week I make an excuse....."I'm in a hurry. That road is closed so we can't go through. They won't let us go over there. All backhoes, dump trucks, and pavers have broken down....." (Did I say I make up an excuse? Making up a lie is more like it!)

So, today after I dropped Savy off at gymnastics, I had nothing better to do than make my little boys day. First, I braved all of the construction traffic and drove right through the midst of all the equipment so that I could get on the freeway. Well....if that wasn't the most exciting day of his life, I don't know what was. Then, we rode the freeway to the next exit, got off and what do you think was right there on the side of the road? Well.....if you guessed a paver, then you guessed correctly. So, like the most excellent Mom that I am, I pulled off the side of the road and let him look at it 'til his hearts content. It was exciting, let me tell ya......all black and covered with tar....the highlight of my day for sure. Then we flipped around at a stoplight and went past the paver AGAIN and got on the freeway a second time and exited off that construction exit so that "B" could see the equipment for a second time. Mother of the year? Yeah, I'm pretty certain I made it this year. I'm pretty certain that I just made his day a little bit brighter. The only question I have is this:

"Why do we keep spending all of this money taking Braden to Disneyland when he is perfectly content to watch construction equipment for free?"


Bad:

There is a strange phenomenon in my house. It involves four little kids, one Mom and food/drinks that are no longer my own. I can no sooner sit down to eat a plate of food, (whether it's delicious or downright mediocre), before they start milling around like birds waiting to be fed. What is so appealing about a Mother's food? Or any other person's food for that matter. My dad comes over for lunch at my house every Tuesday and this is one of our most common statements to each other: "We could be eating a T-U-R-D and still, they would want some!"

(Why the freakish spelling of the word turd, you might ask? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that if we said it out loud they would say, "A turd. What's a turd? Is it good? I want some?" So we continue to spell the word to each other. One day they'll wise up, I'm sure.....but maybe by then they'll stop eating my dang food!!)

Some days I can use this to my advantage....especially with the two younger kids. Do I want my kids to eat their fruits and veggies? Then pull out the baby carrots,apples and ice water to snack on, and before I know it they're filling their stomachs with the likes. But some days I want to hide in my closet and eat my coveted piece of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory and not share it....BY DANG.....it's MINE. It's a double edged sword. So excuse me while I slip into the bathroom with my Hostess ding dongs.....I've got some eatin' to do.....IN PRIVATE!
Thankyouverymuch.

09.10.09


2 comments:

  1. This is a cute idea for a blog! I used to journal EVERY single night until I had kids! Then I was so tired at night, I just crashed! I hate that I've missed journaling about the most exciting days of my life (when the children were really small). Keep it up and you'll be so glad you did!

    Stopping by from SITS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE a most excellent mom. I'll betchya Braden will grow up and never forget the times you'd take him to the construction sites. Seriously. Who needs Disneyland?

    ReplyDelete